Family 0 : Neptune and Matilda Goffin
Neptune (possibly Nipton) is born in Worcester in 1877. He is the son of Nicholas, an umbrella mender, according to the birth certificate. His mother is Coralina Smith - she is illiterate and makes her mark on the certificate.
Nicholas and Coralina are not found on the 1881 census but they marry in Ormskirk in Lancashire in 1882 (although Coralina is decribing herself as Mrs Uglow in 1877). This is probably Nicholas 1842, son of Nicholas 1812 and Jane Carlyon. They fade from sight.....
In 1898, Neptune marries Matilda Goffin, born 1877, in Barton Regis (Bristol). They appear on the 1901 census, boarding at 71-75 Christian St in Liverpool - this looks a complete doss house with some clearly poor families. With them are Henry and Louise. Their place of birth is all given as London. My suspicion is that the family move to Manchester around 1908/9 and then in 1910/11 to Leeds. In 1911, they are living at 11 Baxters Yard, Leeds - Neptune is a travelling tinker and Matilda is a hawker of smallware. By this time, they have had 6 children - 3 had died but 3 are in care in Bradford with John with a foster mother, Emily under the care of the Bradford Guardians and little Matilda in the Bradford workhouse at 2 years old! There are 3 more children but none survive.
In the First World War, Neptune at 37 years old enlists in the Royal Fusiliers in the machine gun corps. He survives and dies in Leeds in 1958 - Matilda died in 1955, also in Leeds.
- son Henry 1898 born in Barton Regis but died in 1905 in Bradford.
- daughter Louisa 1900 born in Pontypridd but dies in 1910 in Manchester
- daughter Emily born 1903 in Liverpool. In 1910, In 1911, Emily is already in the care of the Bradford Workhouse - she admitted to the workhouse on 6th November 1910 as "father in jail, mother unfit". She immediately goes to the fever hospital on 11th November. She is readmitted to the workhouse on 17th December and then went to the Central (childrens) Home in Bradford on December 31st. At the time of the 1911 census Emily (as Huglow) is at 40 Woodroyd Road, West Bowling, Bradford. She is an 'inmate' and under the care of the Bradford Guardians. It is possible that she later is adopted or perhaps is shipped to Canada or Australia as one of the home children' (Source - Bradford archives)
- son John born 1905 in Liverpool. In 1911, John (as Huglow) is at 52 Rugby Place, Bradford with Margaret Dally who is acting as foster mother to him and five other boys. It is likely that John marries Sarah Mouat in Newcastle in 1936. In 1989, John Huglow dies in Cheshire, although Sarah later is living in Sunderland
- daughter Matilda born 1908 in Liverpool. At the age of two, she is an 'inmate' in the Bradford Union Workhouse.On October 6th 1910 she was admitted to the Bradford Workhouse as "father deserted, mother in custody". She went to the Central (childrens) Home in Bradford on December 14th and is there at the time of the 1911 census - Matilda Huglow is at Little Horton Lane. She and her sister Emily moved between the workhouse and the central children's home throughout 1911-1912. It is possible that she later is adopted or perhaps is shipped to Canada or Australia as one of the home children. (Source - Bradford archives)
- (probably) son Charles born 1909 in Manchester but died immediately
- daughter Carrie 1912 born in Leeds but died immediately
- daughter Mary 1912 born in Leeds but died immediately
- daughter Violet 1915 born in Leeds but died immediately
Roger F and Anne
Roger 1940 was born in Pembrokeshire and is the son of William
David 1911 and Iris Beatrice James and the grandson of Samuel
Frederick John and Frances Llewellyn Davies.
was a senior lecturer at Hull working in aquatic ecology - he retired in 2007. He married Anne
Millar in 1966 in Wanstead, just after England won the World Cup. He supports Hull City.
- son William James 1968 born
in Hull. He marries Samantha Sansam in Beverley in 1997
- son Gregory James 1996 born in Hull
- son Luke William 1999 born in Hull
- daughter Phoebe Louise
2004 born in Hull
- son Nathan Dean 1970 born
in Hull. He gained his PhD from the University of Kent and is now working as a lecturer in English
at Trinity All Saints, Leeds. In 2007 he married Penny Rudge in London
- son Alfred Peter Nathan 2007 born in Bradford
- son Arthur Frederick Alan 2009
- daughter Emilia Frances Jane 2011
- daughter Frances Mary 1975
born in Hull but sadly died the same day.
- daughter Elizabeth Beatrice
1977 born in Hull. She obtained a medical degree from King's, London and her doctorate from Bristol. She is
now a doctor working in London
- back to the Uglow homepage